Wednesday, June 29, 2016

More assembly & table levelling

Marked out and manufactured the Z-axis motor bracket by hand.

Z-axis assembly trial fit of parts.

Here is a handy hint for tapping straight holes.  Usually hand taps have a ground taper or a centre drill hole on the back of them.  You can use a drill chuck to rest on the ground taper, or place a spike in the chuck to hold the centre drilled hole.  This especially works well if you can set your table height so you don't need to move the table when you locate, spot drill, drill, chamfer and tap.

Finally found a reason to change the angle on my drill press.

I was thinking about cutting some holes to reduce the weight of the 20mm plate.  But after drilling the first hole I deemed it not worth it.  I'll just use the machine to build a new plate later on.

I used end mills in the chuck to make counter-bores.  I couldn't justify the money on a set of piloted counter-bores, particularly since I can use the cnc machine in future.

Assembled Z-axis and Y-axis plate.

To level the table we attached a water level with plumbing to all four corners.  This allowed easy adjustment of the feet.  I looked into laser levels, but for the price the accuracy of a manometer was far superior of that distance compared to a cheap laser level.


So my garage floor wasn't too even.


No comments:

Post a Comment